What it means to be a CDFI
Community Development Financial Institutions – or CDFIs – are mission-driven financial institutions that are dedicated to providing financial services to meet the needs of economically disadvantaged individuals within underserved communities.
- CDFIs invest in local communities and the residents who live there by providing critically needed financing often unavailable from mainstream financial institutions.
- CDFIs are certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Community Development Financial Institutions Fund – known as the CDFI Fund. In order to become a certified CDFI, the financial institution must: have a primary mission of promoting community development; provide financial products and services; serve one or more defined low-income target markets; maintain accountability to the community it serves; and be a legal non-governmental entity.
- All CDFIs share a common mission of serving low-income communities. CDFIs are commonly loan funds, credit unions, community banks, or venture capital funds.
- Certified CDFIs are part of a national network promoting economic growth in America’s underserved communities by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
- As a CDFI, MBF puts the community first and values local, economic growth.
Last night, MBF's #SmallBusinessTraining students presented business plans to bank lenders & investors 📊 Thanks to panel for participating in this educational event & providing sage advice. Additionally, thanks again to our sponsors @cityofmiami, @LHCCmiami & @magiccitydist. https://t.co/6MthyF6t8R
Are you a small business owner? There are two important tax changes that WILL affect your business. 1) Corporate tax rates are now 21% and 2) Pass through entities get a 20% deduction. Read more on @scoremiami's blog.
Congrats to the 10 amazing high school participants that competed for prizes and bragging rights at the Knowledge of Careers 2nd Annual Social Impact Pitch Night @ #ThursdayGathering. MBF enjoyed judging their creative #socialimpact pitches.
@KOCnonprofit @KnowledgeofCareers https://t.co/MtBX7g6Tfd
Make a Donation
By contributing to MBF you have an opportunity to impact job creation, encourage economic development and improve the future of the City of Miami.