What it means to be a CDFI
Community Development Financial Institutions – or CDFIs – are mission-driven financial institutions that are dedicated to providing financial services to meet the needs of economically disadvantaged individuals within underserved communities.
- CDFIs invest in local communities and the residents who live there by providing critically needed financing often unavailable from mainstream financial institutions.
- CDFIs are certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Community Development Financial Institutions Fund – known as the CDFI Fund. In order to become a certified CDFI, the financial institution must: have a primary mission of promoting community development; provide financial products and services; serve one or more defined low-income target markets; maintain accountability to the community it serves; and be a legal non-governmental entity.
- All CDFIs share a common mission of serving low-income communities. CDFIs are commonly loan funds, credit unions, community banks, or venture capital funds.
- Certified CDFIs are part of a national network promoting economic growth in America’s underserved communities by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
- As a CDFI, MBF puts the community first and values local, economic growth.
MBF #SmallBizTips: The internet of things (IoT) is a network of connected devices and sensors such as digital assistants (Alexa and Google Home). Here are five ways small businesses can leverage the power of this technology. https://t.co/8wbDrsjfkt
@FLMemorialUniv's interim president Jaffus Hardrick is planning expansions for the university including tripling the school's enrollment, adding new programs, bringing in more transfers, creating summer programs students, and more. https://t.co/5PgiT120um
MBF #SmallBizTips: Business credit cards offer a way to finance purchases while also helping businesses build a credit history. However, before applying for a business credit card, know that there are differences between business and personal credit cards. https://t.co/4Z98WPJOPk
Make a Donation
By contributing to MBF you have an opportunity to impact job creation, encourage economic development and improve the future of Miami.